WOLF IN THE CITY
Founder, writer and editor
To save you the trouble of scouring this website (though of course I’d be delighted if you did), I have listed my best and most viewed articles below:
- Gucci Cruise 2017 – An Ode to the English Eccentric (June 2016)
- The Power of Social Media (June 2016)
- Mental Health Awareness Week: Time to Listen (May 2016) – a bit of a polemic on the state of mental health support.
- We Need to Stop Comparing Books to Other Books (May 2016) – a feminist think piece about how female authors’ books are compared to others, with a side-review of Maestra.
- Is Food the Last Acceptable Vice? (April 2016) – a thinkpiece about the prevalence of over-eating.
- Au Revoir, Hedi (April 2016) – a farewell to Hedi Slimane as news he is leaving Saint Laurent Paris emerges.
- Piers Morgan is not a feminist (March 2016) – a feminist’s response to Morgan’s Twitter tirade against Kim Kardashian and Emily Ratajkowski’s topless selfie.
- Explicit Eloquence… (January 2016) – a piece on the enduring relevance and popularity of Arctic Monkeys’ first album Whatever People Say I Am That’s What I’m Not.
- Why Do We Freak Out When Celebrities Die? (January 2016) – musings on the extremity of emotion we feel when well-known figures pass away.
- The Best Kimoji Icons And How We’ll Use Them In 2016 (December 2015)
- If People Were Pasta (September 2015) – a humour piece in collaboration with Jamie’s Italian.
- People You Meet On A London Commute (September 2015) – a humour piece.
- We Need To Stop Hobby Shaming (September 2015) – a feature about the need to be accepting and tolerant of others, whatever their hobbies.
- Cliches That Are True (August 2015) – a list of oft-repeated phrases and why they offer great wisdom.
- People of the UK According To The Adverts (May 2015) – a humour piece about stereotypes created and prolonged by advertisements.
- Poetic And Full of Secrets: The Magic of Vintage Shops (February 2015) – a feature on the delights of shopping and owning vintage.
- When Life Is Ridiculously Beautiful (November 2014) – an anecdotal piece about the terrifying yet extraordinary experience I had in Cinque Terre on my travels.
In June 2016, I took annual leave to complete a week long work placement at Hearst in the Features Department of Red magazine. Here, I transcribed 10,000 words from various interviews, including one I conducted myself with Digital Mums Nikki and Kathryn – the finished piece will appear in the November 2016 issue. I also pitched and wrote three digital articles, which you can see below.
Read it here
Read it here
Read it here
Junior Copywriter (Marketing)
After 5 months as product copywriter at flash sales site BrandAlley.co.uk, I was promoted to marketing copywriter after recommendation by Head Buyer Caroline Withey. As the sole creative copywriter at the company, I write 7 weekly informative emails and 7 weekly editorial-style emails, all of which are sent to a database of 600,000+ subscribers. See some of my best below.
I also contribute to the BrandAlley blog, including with the following articles:
How to Wear Your Trench Coat – “It’s May, and in true British spirit, the weather is being childish…”
SS16 Trend Report: Catwalk Looks – “Fashion month, when viewed from an outside perspective, can be rather intimidating.”
Under it All: Lingerie Relaunch – “Are you one of the millions of women wearing the wrong bra?”
Cannes: Best Dressed – “An event at which even the paparazzi wear dinner jackets…”
J Brand: Summer Denim Masterclass – “Denim is the linchpin that even an aged Polaroid cannot caricature.”
April 2013 – May 2014
In October 2013, I was put in charge of covering Vogue Fashion’s Night Out. This included creating an itinerary, scoping out interviews, handling social media on the night and writing a feature for print. This is the resulting four-page spread in the Christmas 2013 edition of VIVA. For this piece, I conducted interviews with Jonathon Saunders, Alexandra Schulman, Erdem, Jamie Laing and Theo Paphitis. Read it here.
In 2013 I interviewed James Martin the chef about his new restaurant in Manchester’s 235 casino. Read it here.
I LOVE MCR
April – September 2014
A popular online feature about Manchester’s best afternoon tea haunts, compiled and written by me. Read it here.
A review of The Botanist in Alderley Edge – I am particularly proud of this one. Read it here.